Leyton & Leytonstone

Historical Society

Those commemorated in the churchyard of St Mary’s Leyton or Leytonstone

Andrew Mackintosh

researched by Robert Ward

Andrew Mackintosh was born in Martinique or Trinidad about 1802.  He came to own slaves, some at ‘Friendship Hall’ in Trinidad, (perhaps inheriting them) and he received some of the compensation payments made to owners when slavery was abolished in British colonies in 1833.  In 1825 he married Margaret Anne Hall who had been born in North Shields Northumberland, at St Anne’s, Limehouse, with Isabella Hall present.

By 1841 Andrew Mackintosh was living in Northampton Terrace, Islington, his business being trade with the West Indies.  He and his wife had 4 children living with them : Harry, Joseph, William and Edwin.  Their eldest children Andrew, Isabella and Charlotte were elsewhere at the taking of the census.  Margaret Ellen was born in 1849.

By 1851 Andrew Mackintosh had moved to 27 Duncan Terrace, Islington and by 1861 to Marli House in Highbury New Park (a long street that is now a building conservation area running between Canonbury and Clissold Park).

Andrew Mackintosh with the business address of Brabant Court in the City of London entered into a deed in 1863 with his trustee in bankruptcy, Alexander Bell the younger of Finch Lane, to convey his, Mackintosh's, assets to Bell for the benefit of Mackintosh’s creditors.

Andrew Mackintosh died on 8 January 1865 in the 63rd year of his age and is commemorated by a ‘granite ledger’ tombstone in the churchyard of St Mary’s Leyton.